Freezing & Vitrification
During the process of the treatment and after egg collection due to number of reasons there may be need to freeze the embryos, eggs and sperm. The well-established methods are controlled rate and slow freezing and a newer flash-freezing process known as vitrification.
Vitrification is a process in which the embryo is suspended in a very small volume of fluid on the end of a small flat specialized vitrification device. The device with the embryo is then lowered onto a metal block that has been cooled by liquid nitrogen where the fluid containing the embryo hardens into a small glassy bead.
This method is very effective and often used for freezing eggs compared to the old method of slow freezing. The egg is the largest cell in the body and contains a lot of water. The classic problem with freezing eggs the old way was that as the temperature dropped below freezing point, ice crystals formed inside the egg and caused damage to the genetic material. The rapid cooling technique of vitrification allows the water inside and surrounding the egg to instantaneously super cool into a solid state with no ice crystal formation at all.
Freezing of Oocyte or Egg
Egg freezing is an option worth considering and most recommended in of the following conditions:
- When you are at risk of losing your reproductive system because of cancer treatment.
- If for some reason your husband or partner doesn’t produce a sperm sample on the day of egg collection.
- If you want to preserve eggs while you are still young and plan a family at a later part of your life.
Freezing or Banking of Sperm
Sperm can be banked under the following conditions:
- If the husband or male partner is about to undergo major surgery or medical treatments, such as chemotherapy for cancer.
- The male partner may plans to have a vasectomy and there is a possibility the couple may want to have children in the future.
- If the nature of job involves risk of injury which may potentially bar one from producing sperms.
- One may also consider freezing the sperm before you and your husband or partner start assisted reproductive treatment as a backup just in case the husband or male partner is unable to be present on the date of egg collection due to travel, other commitments or if has difficulty in collecting a sample.
Social Egg Freezing
Social Egg Freezing is gaining grounds, as many ambitious women do not want to have children before they attain the professional ambitions. At GBR Fertility Centre & Hospitals we provide a comprehensive plan to women who want to get a solid footing in their carrier and delay their pregnancy plans through our Egg Freezing Services. Please contact the center for details.
I am very satisfied with the clinic right from the beginning till the end. Hope you will keep the good work always. God will bless you people and give you all the... Read More
Mrs. Aishwarya & Mr. Narendran, Chennai.
She is not just a doctor. She is far more than that. Very helpful, kind hearted. Not only the doctor, but the whole staff of GBR is like a family to us...
Mrs. Nizama Abdulla & Mr. Ahmed Nahid, Maldivis.
GBR is the best clinic for medical treatment like IVF/ICSI. Will recommend to any of my relatives / friends. Overall best treatment doneÂ as per the...Read More
Mrs. Revathy& Mr. Thyagarajan, Chennai.
Firstly we would thank Dr Buvaneswari for giving us the best and appropriate treatment for which now we have been blessedÂ with a boyÂ babyÂ after 05 years...
Mrs. Mary Selva Kumar & Mr. D A Kumar
We really liked the personalized treatment we had in GBR. Doctor takes at most care at us and personally involves in all activities like scanning, injection, etc..,